Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Michael Phelps Loses to Team Mate Ryan Lochte...Again

Stunned Michael Phelps


Ryan Lochte overtook Michael Phelps on the final turn of the 200-meter freestyle to win one of the most highly awaited races of the world championships Tuesday, reminding everyone he is a threat to replace his American teammate as the world's top swimmer.
Lochte touched in 1 minute, 44.44 seconds, with Phelps taking the silver in 1:44.79 while defending champion Paul Biedermann of Germany - who handed Phelps a stinging defeat in this event at the last worlds in Rome two years ago - settled for bronze in 1:44.88.
"I can't complain," Phelps said. I'm bummed I didn't win, but you know at the same time, with what we've done over the last six to eight months, I'm over a second faster than I was last year. ... So I'm headed in the right direction."


Lochte also beat Phelps in the 200 individual medley and 200 backstroke at last year's U.S. championships, then won six golds to Phelps' five at the Pan Pacific Championships in 2010 - prompting Phelps' coach Bob Bowman to acknowledge that Lochte was the best swimmer last year.
Phelps led at the 50 and 100 marks before Lochte, who was swimming in the next lane, surged in front.
"I knew Michael wanted to go out just to clean water, so I knew I had to be in striking distance and just work what I'm good at - those underwaters on each turn," Lochte said. "It's a big confidence boost. Hopefully this win will help me carry on through my other races this week."
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment