Thursday, July 14, 2011

I'll Miss Harry Potter



Folks that know me will tell you there are four men in my life, my spouse and best friend Henry, my awesome son Kreighton, my president Barack Obama and J. K. Rowling's wonderful character Harry Potter.

The final episode comes to a close tonight at midnight with the first open viewing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. In tribute to my friends from the Harry Potter books and movies, I tried to think of the things I'd miss the most with the conclusion of the series.





The anticipation and excitement of new books and new movies

As a Potter fan, I will miss the anticipation and excitement of new book and movie releases.  I'll remember waiting at the bookstore at midnight for the next book or waiting in the line for hours at the movie theatre before the advance viewing of the newest HP movie.  The joy of hearing Hedwig's Theme and seeing the Warner Bros. Harry Potter logo always whet my appetite for a new adventure.



Harry, Ron, and Hermione
I'll miss resourceful Harry, loyal, comedic Ron and brainy, sensitive Hermione.  The trio were like my good friends.  I watched them grow and develop, both literally and figuratively and shared their joys and sorrows. I'll miss sharing in the new challenges of mid-life and raising a family, as well as watching their mature relationship take shape.  Sharing experiences, freindship, loyalty and devotion...Thanks for the memories folks.


The Magical World

J. K. Rowlings  shared an incredible world and Harry said it best "I love magic". The strange creatures, the spells and curses, Hogwarts and it's traditions, and the Quidditch matches...I'll miss it all. Patronuses, Priori Incantatem, unforgiveable curses, horcruxes-how can I say good bye forever?

The Developing Romances

I waded my way through the crushes, the snogging, and the passing fancies until J. K. Rowling's characters found their true soul mates.  Not many surprises, but it was fun watching things develop. From Harry's crush on Cho Chang to Ron's adventure with Lavender Brown, I watched and waited.  Let's not forget Vicktor Crum putting the moves on Hermione.  Yet, meeting the Potter and Weasley children was a fitting ending to the drama.  Wouldn't it be nice to read their stories?  Hmmmmm.

Good Thwarting Evil

I'll miss Harry dodging Voldemort and beating him at his own game.  Good always triumphed over evil even if it was only temporary and even though the cost was extremely high at times.  It was worth the wait to see the demise of Bellatrix Lastrange and finally that of Lord Voldemort. It reminds us all that sometimes there's a high price to pay as we pursue Good over Evil. Harry shows us that what's right is not always easy. We learn that our choices that make the difference. No more life lessons from the Potter books and movies.  Guess I'll just have to revisit my seven books and eight movies and remember.

I'll miss the Sin City Marauders, the Harry Potter theme parties, the costumes and the food.  The trivia challenges, the contests, and the hard questions...you had to be on your toes with this group.  Most of all, I'll miss the closeness of my friends who shared this incredible journey.

Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I'll miss Severus the most.

    Great article! It brought back many fond memories. We'll always have The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to look forward to.

    Summer 2012? Hmmmmm?

    ReplyDelete