Friday, February 4, 2011

Essence Celebrates Black Women

Screenshot of Dorothy Dandridge from the trail...Image via Wikipedia



"Tall ones, short ones, black ones, brown ones...I like the girls"  Remember that song?  Well what about this one..."she's a bad mamma jamma".  Songs like these remind us that women come in all shapes, sizes and hues, but all of them are beautiful.

Essence Magazine did a tribute to thirty Black Women in a recent issue.  When I first became aware of the tribute, I couldn't wait to see who would be featured. Would you believe it if I told you I looked for my name and photo as soon as I found the material?  Okay, stop laughing!

Reviewing the photos, I took a trip down memory lane.  I went from Pam Grier to Dorothy Dandridge, from Jayne Kennedy to Lauryn Hill, and from Josephine Baker to Eryka Badu. Photos of the First Lady, Michelle Obama mixed with Susan Taylor, Lena Horne, Whitney Houston, and Beyonce. Florence Griffith Joyner, Sade, Iman, Leslie Uggams and Phylicia Rashad...the names and faces spanned the years.  Each was unique and beautiful in her own way. It was a great way to spend sometime in reflection during Black History Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment