Saturday, February 5, 2011

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Amy Chua at the 2007 Texas Book Festival, Aust...Image via Wikipedia
I first heard talk on "The View" and then I read an article from a blog in the Nation Magazine on line.  The subject was Amy Chua's book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. The material about the pressures mothers' place on kids to succeed sounded familiar.  The author is Chinese, but the situation is relived in families of any ethnic background. Mothers everywhere worry about how to be the best possible parent to ensure your children a happy life in their future.

  The question seems to be can kids be happy now moving at their own pace or should they be pushed in order to ensure a successful future...and if so, how much pushing is enough.  As a parent, I made my decision to follow in my mother's footsteps and I made every effort I could to push my children on the path to success.  I'm comfortable with my decisions, some good and some not so good.  You only go around once, so do what you think is best with the information you have each day. hopefully, you'll find comfort in those decisions.

There are related articles listed below that will provide more information on this debate.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment