Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Bobby Deen is Getting Married!



Of all the members of the Paula Deen family, her youngest son, Bobby, is my favorite. I was pleased to learn that he's found someone to share his life and successes.
 



Paula and I go way back. I worked my way beyond her southern drawl and watched her cook comfortable, tasty dishes. Yes, I realized the consequences of the "sticks of butter" and the mounds of sugar and all the other sinful additives that Paula loved. These ingredients were definitely not healthy for a diabetic like myself. When Paula went public with her own diagnosis of diabetes, I was surprised, and yes, a little hurt that she waited so long to tell her loyal fans. But, having many more pressing issues in my own life than Paula Deen's secrets, I moved on, took stock of what I could use from her cooking methods, and made adjustments to lessen the damage of anything unhealthy Paula used.

I remember back to the early shows that introduced Jamie and Bobby, Paula's sons. When I learned about Paula's personal story, her days as the "Bag Lady" and her world famous Lady and Sons Restaurant, it was easy to see what an important part her boys played in her business success, as well as her personal life. It seemed only fitting to include them in her television shows from time to time.

Bobby Deen began working for his mother when he was 18 and had just graduated from high school. He was the delivery man for her home business, The Bag Lady. When the home-based business turned into The Lady & Sons, Bobby Deen was based in the front of the house, where he took care of customers.

The brothers became stars in their own right beginning with their own program, “Road Tasted,” where they traveled the country in search of delicious food. With his brother Jamie, Bobby Deen has written a series of cookbooks: “The Deen Bros. Cookbook: Recipes from the Road” in 2007; “Y’all Come Eat” in 2008; “Take It Easy” in 2009; and “Get Fired Up” in 2011.

Bobby Deen stepped out on his own recently with his own TV show "Not My Mama's Meals" and book, “From Mama’s Table to Mine: Everybody’s Favorite Comfort Foods at 350 Calories or Less.”

That led to him appearing as a featured speaker at the 2013 Savannah Book Festival. Prior to his appearance, Bobby Deen told the Morning News he was proud of the book because it’s the first release he’s done on his own.

“I love my family and enjoy working with them, but it’s nice to do this myself,” he said. “It’s a damn good book.”
 
Bobby would be the first to tell you that his road has not always been easy.
"There was a lot of instability in my family. My father struggled with alcoholism, and my mother was an agoraphobic. We moved from Albany, Ga., to Savannah, Ga., when I was a senior in high school, and I thought it was the most horrible thing that could ever have happened to me. I hated my parents for that. Then they divorced, and that was like the icing on the cake. I hated everything and everybody ... (yet) had those things not happened to me, I would not be having this conversation with you right now. It's a complete cliche to say that blessings come cloaked in different colors, but what we live through truly does shape our lives," he said.
It seems that now everything the Deens touch turns to gold.
 
Paula Deen announced on her Facebook page that her son, Bobby, is engaged to his girlfriend, Claudia Lovera. According to her social media profiles, Lovera is a producer and avid runner in Chicago. According to a 2011 profile by the Savannah College of Art and Design, she is from Caracas, Venezuela, and was at SCAD working toward a master’s degree in fine arts in film and television.
My best wishes go out to the lovely couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment