Sunday, May 23, 2010

More About Me-Part 2

My son Kreighton tagged me. Once you've been tagged, you’re supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about yourself. So now I have to think of 25 things about myself. Here it goes. (This should take forever!) Come long for the ride.


1. Fact: For those who know me, they know my husband (Henry) and my children (Kimberly, Krystal and Kreighton) are most important in my life. They are my best friends and confidants. I'm sure people wonder how we spend so much time together, but it works for us.

2. Fact: It makes me happy to help other people. I'm a frustrated teacher at heart and so I try and share everything I know or learn with others. During my 38 years working at the post office, I met so many wonderful people and every job I had allowed me to share information, to teach, and to challenge others. I was a radical union steward in my early days before I entered management. As I moved up the management ladder, my goal was to teach others as I learned and bring them along with me. My motto was "strive to be as good as the best and better than the rest". Everything I was able to accomplish is due to the grace of God and the support of those who worked with me. It showed me that helping people reaps rewards.



3. Fact: I love the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling. My family had a club, the Sin City Marauders and met monthly to discuss the books and movies. It was fun to challenge one another on the facts about the characters, the spells, the events and other information found in the books. I saw a question in People magazine- "Which fictional character would you like to be?" My first thought was "I want to be Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series." She embodies many of the traits that I admire. She's a book worm, smart, compassionate, caring, and resourceful. The girl figured out the most difficult situations and offered a workable solution. At the end of the series, she got her man, had a family, and lived happily ever after. Who can beat that!


4. Fact: I'm a Barack Obama supporter! I worked in his campaign, attended his rally, cast my vote for him, and watched him become the 44th President. I applaud his determination to bring change to America. As I watch the "party of NO" attack his efforts, withdraw their support and constantly criticize everything he does, I wonder do they have any constructive ideas to offer. I guess not. When you are bankrupt of ideas, you just shoot off your mouth and hope you hit something (maybe an idle, blank mind that you can write your negative thoughts on). We all need to keep the President in our prayers and take the time to make our support of his efforts be known when and wherever we can. By the way, I'm sick of hearing 'transparency". Does the man have to give information on every little thing he does to make up for the sins of the prior administration? I think not!



5. Fact: I'm a writer, unpublished, but a writer nevertheless. Writing Romance novels is my game but, I also write poetry focused on the African-American experience. I completed my first novel before I know anything about writing romance. It was fun and I couldn't wait to get to the computer and write the pages of my story. I read a romance novel each day (yes, a complete novel every day). After joining Romance Writers of America, I started writing book reviews for Rendezvous, a well known publication specializing in the romance genre. I wrote 15 reviews each month and was proud to have my thoughts, words, and opinions published. I'm on my third book, have never sent anything for consideration for publication, and haven't written anything for several years.



6. Fact: I learned too much about how to write. How and why did I stop writing? As with everything I do, I jumped into RWA with a passion. A short while after joining the local chapter, I took over publication of the chapter's newsletter. In my effort to share what I was being exposed to and to teach my fellow chapter members, I spent lots of time on making the newsletter informative. Next thing I knew I was elected chapter president, serving for the next four years. During that time, I found myself filling the duties of chapter president, newsletter editor and program chair. I got so busy educating the membership and attending writing conferences and seminars that I no longer had time to read romance novels or write on my books or poetry. Finally I finished my term(s) in office and quietly withdrew, burnt out, frustrated and bitter. Unfortunately, I haven't read a romance novel since, nor have a returned to writing.



7. Fact: I'm a Red Hatter! I joined the Red Hat Society in 2004 becoming one of thousands of ladies over 50 across the country who banded together to just have fun. After I couldn't find a RHS chapter in Las Vegas that I could join, I started my own chapter and become Queen of the Silver Swans Red Hatters. Before I knew it, the chapter had 60 members and was one of the largest in the city. While I love to have fun taking lunch and attending tea parties, etc., my sense of social responsibility sneaks in from time to time. We've help with the "Coats for Kids" drive, recognition for Police and Firemen, collecting donations for the Boys and Girls Clubs and for Safe Nest (a battered women's shelter). Why not do some good while you have fun? I sponsored an annual Red Hat Society Birthday party for the past several years, hosting 200 senior ladies for an afternoon of fun, games, dancing and prizes. However, this year several other events are planned by other chapters, so, once again, I'll fade off into the sunset, yielding to the offerings they are presenting.

8. Fact: I'm compulsive! I guess you can tell as you learn about me. I'm an all or nothing person. I'm in all the way or not in at all. Maybe it's my sign, Capricorn, and the traits that those born under that sign exhibit. Maybe it's because I'm the oldest child (of eight children) and I exhibit the traits linked to the oldest child. Yes, I'm responsible, demanding, driven, type-A personality, etc. If it needs doing and I'm in it, I don't mind taking on the task of getting it done. That's why I stay away from joining clubs and activities and the like. I always find myself raising my hand saying "I'll do it". But, if I'm not in it, I don't have to worry about volunteering and winding up swamped with work. It's too bad I can't just say no, but my history tells me to back off, back out and I'll be better off.

9. Well, I'm just on number nine and out of things to say. It's a long way to #25. Thanks to that People magazine, I'll answer this question,” What sport do you wish you were good at?" Question to myself-am I team player or do I want to go it alone? Guess I'll rely on just me, myself, and I. Out goes team sports like basketball and volleyball (which I was really good at in the day), no football, soccer, etc.

Golf? Hate walking! I'll keep playing golf on my Play Station. That's as far as I'm willing to go. That leaves tennis and swimming. Unless I get over my dread of putting my face under water, it won't be swimming. That leaves me with tennis. Yes, I'd like to be like the Williams sisters. I'll take the money and fame of being a major tennis star. Add in the trim body and great figure and the mental alertness and game smarts they display...That's a plus. Love using my head to figure thing out. I'll take tennis; it works for me on a variety of levels.



10: Fact: My husband, Henry, and I have been married nearly 40 years. It seems like a much shorter time; time flies when you're having fun. I really won the lottery when we married. I'm a much better person because of his influence. Here’s someone who is genuinely nice, thoughtful, and caring. What you see is what you get! No fancy airs, no funky attitudes...just an outpouring of unconditional love. It wonderful to know you don't have to do anything, say anything or be anything other than who and what you are. It makes a difference to be accepted just as you are. When we first got serious, I thought I'd put my worst foot forward and if he could accept me at my worst, he'd be okay with me at my best. I'd say stupid things like 'I don't do shirts" or I'd keep myself from doing thing that I'd normally do for someone I cared about. Lucky me, he had the insight to see beneath the front I put up. He was right, I am a diamond in the rough and I'm grateful that he takes the time to keep polishing my rough exterior so that my light can begin to shine through.

11. Fact: The day Henry and I married, I was stuck without a way to get to the church. Somehow the plan went astray and I was sitting alone in my beautiful wedding dress waiting for someone to come and take me to the church. Finally one of the groom’s men, Bud Williams, fetched me in Henry's car. It was being waxed so the outside was coved with the white wax. It started to rain and we had no cover so Bud took off his jacket and covered me up until I could get in the car. Then, we had a little nip from the flask to buck us up. Henry and I had wanted to have an African wedding in African garments. I had even designed my head piece and picked out the fruits that would be served at the reception. My mother-in-law had made every effort to be supportive. Finally we decided that we were only having the wedding for her sake and so we had a traditional wedding instead. It was a good decision and we never regretted making the change.

12: Fact: I have a Master's degree, but I can't spell worth a damn! To be a writer that can't spell...man, does that slow you down. Most people think it doesn't matter and think the editors or staff will fix the mistakes, but I don't believe that is true. So, I look up thing a lot or I change from one word to another because I can spell one vs. the other. Guess it's not a crime or a sin. So be it.

13. Goal: One of my goals is to find a way to share my Christian beliefs through my writing and/or through public speaking and small group facilitation. My faith is strong and I want to share my message with those who have the need for practical applications. What form it will take, God only knows, but I know He will lead and guide me in His way. Stay tuned and watch my smoke.

14. Goal: Losing Weight.  After I retired, I gained weight.  (Lots of weight!) Losing weight is a struggle, a rough journey and the road is paved with temptation. I’ve decided that I’ll take it a day at a time and give it my best shot every day until I attain my goal. This fight will last until...forever. Changing the way I eat, exercising, making healthy choices, portion control-it all matters and it’s easier said than done. At one point, my family had weekly Fit Club meetings which helped me as much as my participation in Weight Watchers. I’ve joined the gym and am still working hard.

Well, now I'm sixty pounds down and fifty pounds to go. The scale can't measure how many old habits I've broken, or what new healthier habits I've started. It doesn't know how many poor choices I've avoided, even when I wanted them with all your heart. The scale doesn't care how hard I'm trying or how many times I've refused to give up even after I've failed.  I just have to remember that good choices will show up on the scale eventually and that I will reach my goal.

More to come in More About Me-Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment