Sunday, May 17, 2009

Famous Movie (Mis)Quotes


Some of the most frequently recited movie lines of all time were never even said. Here are ten of the most misquoted movie lines of all time.

10. "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?"
The Graduate (1967) - The quote in the actual movie was not a question at all. Instead, Benjamin simply stated, "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me."

9. "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto"
The Wizard of Oz (1939) - The real movie line is slightly different, and less certain. When Dorothy arrived in Oz she said, "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more."

8. "If you build it, they will come"
Field of Dreams (1989) - There's a slight variance from the popular line that is constantly quoted. Instead, the real quote is, "If you build it, he will come."

7. "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn"
Gone With the Wind (1939) - Rhett Butler is often misquoted in one of the most popular movie lines of all time. He never says "Scarlett" in the famous line and instead stated, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

6. "Beam me up, Scotty"
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) - The most well known "Star Trek" line, "Beam me up, Scotty" was never actually said in any of the Star Trek films. Instead Kirk said, "Scotty, beam us up."

5. "Hello, Clarice"
The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - The creepy line uttered by Dr. Hannibal Lecter was quite different than it is remembered. He, in fact, said, "Good evening, Clarice."

4. "Play it again, Sam."
Casablanca (1942) - Turns out that Humphrey Bogart never said these famous four words. Instead, the closest he came was, "You played it for her, you can play it for me. If she can stand it, I can. Play it!"

3. "Do you feel lucky, punk?"
Dirty Harry (1971) - The actual line in this movie is far less catchy: "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"

2. "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?"
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - Every day the queen consulted her mirror on the wall, however, instead of the famous quote we remember, she called, "Magic Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?"

1. "Luke, I am your father"
The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - This commonly quoted line, which Darth Vader was known to utter to young Luke Skywalker, was never said at all. The real movie line was "No, I am your father."

Source: Access Hollywood-(as compiled by Guardian.co.uk)

No comments:

Post a Comment